Subscribe

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thinking about Jano

People have been talking about JANO, the writing event where you try to write a 50,000 word book in the 31 days of January. Without editing.  THAT would be hard for me, but I'm thinking about trying it Jan 2014.

However, not with the two books I'm working on now, but with the second book in the Earth series or the third depending on which way I decide. Fire or Water are the two contenders. They both have the FBI vampire and the earth reader in them, but the suspect kills either with burning or drowning respectively. Earth has over 3 chapters but only 12,000 words so I don't know if I could make it to 50,000 since I'm a 1/3 of the way through already. I'm not a flowery writer; I get to the point when I write fiction, though I ramble when I talk. I think I'll try rambling when I do JANO. Maybe I'll make more than 50,000 that way!

How are the rest of you planning JANO? Got your ideas stirring?

I plan to finish Earth within the next five months since, when I started working on it last month again, I told myself I'd have it done in six months. JANO's going to be hard for me that's for sure. 50,000 words in a MONTH!

To make the 50,000 words in 31 days, one has to write at least 1,613 words a day or a little over six 250-word pages a day.  Sounds doable, don't it?  Unless you write like me which means a page or two a day at the most because you write something then edit it before moving on. As I said JANO's going to be hard for me, but I need to learn to write flow-of-consciousness style so I can actually finish something and say it's finished without editting myself out of a finished manuscript.

A friend and I did something similar to JANO ten years ago. He and I said that we would meet at a certain time for twenty days and write on a book. I started a new book while he worked on one he had already started,but we stuck to it for only 15 days.  I made it to 88 pages and he did only 63, but we only did two hours a day so I think that was good.  For JANO, I think I'm going to have to set aside more than two hours of writting time a day and some good writting music to keep RL(Real Life) at bay.

I've rambled again. I think I'll stop here and maybe get some "real" writing done. HA! More like editting again since I can't seem to stop myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment