Subscribe

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A new tradition

 I saw a good entry the other day and thought I'd share it here because I'm thinking about starting it myself. I don't have kids but I do have some extended family.

Iceland has a tradition called  Jolabokaflod that on Christmas Eve you gift a book and spend the rest of the evening reading it and drinking hot cocoa. I think this is a marvelous idea and a good tradition to start this year. Don't you?

If you're unsure about what book they would like you can get them a book-adjacent gift. I'm of the idea that it's the thought that counts. And readers love everything to do with books.

Maybe a bookshelf and spend the evening putting it together together, then relax with cocoa and cookies or chocolate. Or get them a bookend set and spend some time figuring out where to put them before relaxing with the cocoa and cookies. Maybe a collection of bookmarks if they're always loosing their place or collect them. Look through them and enjoy the cocoa and cookies while you do so.

There are even postcards with novel covers on them, candles that smell like old books or new books, and a a book lamp that looks like a hardback book when closed. There are literally hundred of items to choose from.

So start a new tradition this year.  


Raven Manor is coming along nicely. 40,006 words as of this morning. Tying up loose ends right now. Have a few more chapters to go, then it's edit time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment